With the summer holidays in full swing and a heatwave on the horizon it is no wonder people are flocking to the beaches, with their furry friends by their side.
The UK is home to some amazing beaches, and dog-friendly holiday lettings company Canine Cottages has collated the six best dog-friendly beaches in the UK, so that you and your dog can enjoy the view of the sea all-year-round!
1. Rhossili Bay Beach, Swansea
What better place to bring your pooch than the beach named the ‘supermodel of British beaches’? This award-winning beach has over three miles of beautiful coastline, and with access year-round, is one of the best beaches for dog walks. Beware of farm animals roaming as you walk down to the sea and keep your dog on a lead until you reach the beach. You’re set for a perfect beach day at Rhossili!
2. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris
Fancy walking on a beach stolen from a fairy-tale? With its exciting wildlife and beautiful scenery, it’s no wonder Luskentyre is one of the best beaches in the UK. If you’re lucky, you and your pooch could even witness golden eagles pass right above your heads! The beach offers a relaxed atmosphere and a sense of calm away from the madding crowd – it’s the perfect place to visit to let your dog roam free and spend a moment admiring the beauty Scotland has to offer.
3. Porthmeor Beach, Cornwall
French Riviera, is that you? Porthmeor Beach in the popular hotspot of St Ives, Cornwall, is the pawfect place to bring your pooch off-season, as dogs are allowed on the beach from 30th September until 15th May. A beautiful, safe and sandy beach, it’s close to local amenities (including the world-famous Tate gallery) and is the perfect place to bring the whole family for an off-season trip.
4. Kingsgate Bay, Kent
Have you always wanted to experience white chalk cliffs? If so, take a trip with your pooch to Kingsgate Bay. The beach is one of the best in England, with a rich history and interesting sea caves to explore with your dog. It’s advisable to check the tides and the currents in the area before travelling, so that you and your pooch don’t end up caught in the waves. The beach is perfect for adventures – and one your pooch can roam all-year-round!
5. Holkham, Norfolk
One of the most unspoilt and beautiful stretches of sand in the UK, this amazing beach has dunes rolling on for miles. The National Nature reserve nearby is rife with animals so it’s best to keep your dog on a lead while walking through. Note that the beach is restricted in some areas for our canine friends during the summer and nesting time, so check dates before you visit to make sure it’s safe.
6. Alnmouth, Northumberland
Alnmouth is perfect for the days where all you want is a calm walk with your pooch. A wide sandy beach, Alnmouth sits within one of Northumberland’s areas of outstanding natural beauty, and there’s plenty of room for your four-legged friends to explore new sights and smells. The beach is in close proximity to the quaint village of Alnmouth, and with access allowed for dogs year-round, the perfect place for a day trip!
Top tips for travelling to the beach with your dog:
- Always remember to bring water and food for your dog. On a hot summer day your dog will spend a lot of energy and therefore will need food and water to keep its energy levels stable
- Never leave your dog alone, especially in a hot car. Leaving your dog alone also increases the risk of dog-napping, so bringing your pooch with you is always the safest option!
- Go on walks during the mornings and evenings, as these are the safest times during a hot day to let your dog get some exercise. Choosing to do this during mid-day can cause your pooch to overheat on a warm day.
- Keep track of the tides and currents in the area you’re walking; the currents love to hide in plain sight, and we don’t want any pooches, or humans, to be lost in the waves.
- Check that the beach is dog friendly. Our dog friendly index will help you find a suitable beach near you.
Commenting, Shannon Keary, Digital PR Manager at Canine Cottages says, “Dog-friendly beaches are important to maintain our dogs’ wellbeing. Our pooches should be able to roam and explore, and beaches are the perfect place for them have tonnes of fun and explore new sights and smells. We wanted to collate the best beaches to help you find the best spots for you and your pooch for your next staycation or day trip!”
To read about more dog-friendly beaches, visit Canine Cottages’ blog here: Woof-tastic dog-friendly beaches.